IPUMS Research Awards
These awards honor the best research using IPUMS data to advance or deepen our understanding of social and demographic processes. Cash prizes will be awarded for best published work and best graduate student work (published or unpublished) in six categories, for a total of 12 awards:
- US Microdata: Best paper using data from IPUMS USA and/or CPS
- International: Best paper using data from IPUMS International (including NAPP/historical data)
- Health Surveys: Best paper using data from IPUMS NHIS and/or IPUMS MEPS
- Spatial: Best paper using data from IPUMS NHGIS and/or IPUMS Terra
- Global Health: Best paper using data from IPUMS DHS and/or IPUMS PMA
- Time Use: Best paper using data from IPUMS ATUS, IPUMS AHTUS, or IPUMS MTUS
INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE 2020 IPUMS RESEARCH AWARDS
We are pleased to announce the 13th annual IPUMS Research Awards competition. We are looking for papers that use innovative approaches, comparative analyses, and multiple IPUMS datasets. In short, we are looking for papers that use the data to its full potential.
We are also encouraging unpublished student paper submissions to be posted to SocArXiv or other open repositories, as we would like all award-winning papers to be broadly available to the IPUMS community.
Deadline: Friday, February 12, 2021.
Entry requirements for published research:
Use and cite one of the eligible IPUMS datasets in a 2020 refereed publication.
Entry requirements for student research:
Use and cite one of the eligible IPUMS datasets in a paper written in 2020 (see above). The lead author must have been a graduate student when the paper was written. If research is published, it should be a 2020 publication. We strongly encourage that unpublished research be submitted to SocArXiv, an open archive for the social sciences, or another open archive or paper repository.
SUBMITTING TO THE 2020 IPUMS RESEARCH AWARDS
You may nominate yourself or a colleague. To be considered for the award, please complete our research submission form.
Be prepared to provide the following information at the time of submission:
- Corresponding author: name, e-mail address, and institution
- The IPUMS dataset(s) used for the research
- Information on where IPUMS is cited in the paper (references and/or in-text citation)
- Award category (published research or graduate student research award)
- For published research award:
- Citation and link to online version if open access
- PDF of the paper if not open access
- For student research (published or not published):
- Citation and link to published research, SocArXiv or other paper repository
- PDF of the paper if published research is not open access
Note: If sending a book, please contact email@example.com for shipping information.